Find Your Voice

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

5 Things to Think About (no. 4): Define Your future

In the previous post I wrote about revolution that is dead.  I also linked it to how business are afraid to truly innovate and initiate deep change.  What I find even worse is how we as employees allow the definition of business by business to define our futures.  This links to waiting for a job to give definition to your life and also spending too much time at work (see the previous two posts).

I always try to write from my own perspective as this makes me sound cooler and gives me credibility.  In this regard I realise how my environment and other people's agendas influence my own.  Especially in the last few months I have seen how other people's perspective of me have influenced my own self-worth.  Just because I don't exactly fit in their idea of success I see myself as inferior.  What a load of nonsense (soft word so your kids can read this as well)!

In reality their perspective and lack of fit have just me realise that I have something truly unique to offer and that I am on a journey of discovery to add passion and joy in every instance.  In the darker parts of the journey I have the privilege to discover how I react - I see my fears for what they are and also the potential that is within me.  This cannot be revealed any other way.  The darkness gives me the opportunity to define myself and therefore define my future.

Quite recently, and perhaps still, I am going through a dark place.  As I was driving in the car the other day I intuitively and instantly became aware of certain values that I in fact hold dear.  I have always held them dear but throughout the challenge of a dark period and the desire to be fully alive that kept me going through this period I have become aware of these values that is at my core.  The process of awareness was not so gradual although the inner process has lasted months.  The result, as mentioned above, was an epiphany!  In that moment it was as if the impurity that blinded me was removed and after many months of feeling lost and confused clarity washed over me.  It became so clear that I truly place high value on freedom, simplicity, and creativity.  

This knowledge immediately eliminated certain options for moving forward and highlighted others that are important.  In this regard it has taken months and moment to more clearly define my future.  As I sit here now and write this I am once again inspired to spread the message of going from survive to alive.  Perhaps you are caught in a place that you feel lost, confused, or even captured by darkness.  My simple message to you is that your life matters.  It matters now!  Your trials do have meaning and that if you hang in there with a hunger in your heart continuously hungering to get to know yourself better and through this journey make this world a better place you will!

I encourage you to define what is valuable to you and continue on your journey of discovering meaning and helping others define meaning.  We need to take an active role and define our future.  If you are passive someone else will project their values on you and define your future.

No comments: